Taking the time to mentor someone and to contribute to their lives is an important function of giving. Many of us have the time, the experience, success to pass along wisdom to those coming up. I believe mentoring is the next step of service. Today I speak on that plus the topic on boundaries.
For years I have felt that in recovery you are not supposed to utter the words, I will NEVER drink or drug again.
To me…this is this a, “free pass card?” Giving permission for relapses?
We must set boundaries, immovable boundaries:
- When to say yes and no
- Take control of your life
- Personal property line (fence)
- Keeps us in and from going out
- Set our own boundaries, not other people
- Gates – Access in and out
- Drinking/Drugging/Eating boundaries
- How do you learn to have these – Say yes to the right things and no to the wrong things – choices
- Don’t let others move your boundaries
- Immovable boundaries
- Key is to set the boundary and set the consequence for violating
- Know they are working when other people are getting frustrated because of your new boundaries
Have a great Sunday!